Friday, May 22, 2020

Genealogy....Have I Been Chosen?

I can not believe I am old enough to say "forty years ago, fifty years ago, I did such and such."  Although I am not quite 50, I will be in 3 years, I am old enough to reference that time period, that is so crazy to me!  When I first started doing genealogy nearly 40 years ago, I wasn't really doing much.  I was ten years old, and my dad's cousin had sent us a notebook that had names and dates in it.  It wasn't even specifically our family.  It was the family of my great great grandfather's brother, John Heyen.  Until I was about 17 or 18, I repeatedly wrote those names until I had them memorized, transcribing them to other notebooks.  Starting in my early teens my mom would take me to cemeteries, so I could see the people I was reading about.  And I was able to add names to the notebook that were not listed.  I also added names as I learned of them.  I was not taught how to properly do it, in other words, I knew about birth, death,  and marriage certificates, I did not know we needed to have copies of them to back up our info.  When I was in my late teens I met up with another cousin of my dad's and she showed me her office that had a "properly" documented organization, and my mind was blown.  That is when I began going to libraries, cemeteries, funeral homes, courthouses, etc, and actually making copies, and organizing those copies.  Then when, in the late 90's the internet and ancestry.com and other websites started popping up, my genealogy habits changed once again.  We change as we grow and learn, whether you use only the internet, or you go to actual libraries and courthouses, those are the habits you develop.  I have learned, the only wrong way of doing the research, is if you get stuck in your own stubbornness, and refuse to accept change, and accept that perhaps your info is wrong.  Double and triple check it, make sure you have at least three pieces of documentation to back it up.  If all you have is a theory, go ahead and write that theory down, but don't devote yourself so much to that theory, that you don't allow for new information.
I know I have talked a lot about my grandmother being adopted, but there have been many times where I started following one trail, to have to back track.  Finally in the past ten years, Im on the correct line, and DNA is now backing up my research.
DNA has changed how a lot of us do genealogy now, I use it as a tool to confirm where my family came from, and to confirm that my theories are either correct or incorrect.  I know many people use it in other ways, but at this time, that is all I need it for.
I do not know if I have been chosen to be the family genealogist, but I know that I will do my best to have the most correct and accurate tree, so that in 50 years, if one of my cousins kid's is working on the tree, I would like for them to use my information as a starting point, and be able to continue where I stopped off at.
As I was saying, when I first started when I was ten years old, I had my dad's cousins notebook.  It had the names of my great great grandfather's brother, his wife and children, and then his descendants.  I know that family inside out and backwards.  A few years later, my mom's uncle gave us a similar notebook for the Ziemmer and Stierhoff family.  Although there was information in there that was incorrect, I was later able to correct it.  A couple of years after that, another of my dad's cousins shared with me another notebook for the another side of the family, and then a cousin of my moms shared a notebook with me of her dad's side of the family.  By getting those notebooks, copying the information out of them and confirming and correcting information, I have furthered my tree.  I am not saying I am a better researcher than all of them, I am saying that by taking the lessons they have taught me, and tricks that they have shown me, it has helped me become the better genealogist I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are All Related!!

A few years ago, a friend of mine asked me to look into her family, so sure, I started, and I go and play with her tree when I need a break ...