Tuesday, September 1, 2020

We Are All Related!!

A few years ago, a friend of mine asked me to look into her family, so sure, I started, and I go and play with her tree when I need a break from my own.  Well, I also do my extended families trees, in other words, my mom has 4 sisters, and I do all of their husbands trees.  Well, I found out this week that my moms oldest sister, Jeanne, her husband is related to my friend!  Not only that, but they are both also related to a good friend of the family!  The family names where the connection is are: Poling and Van Dyne.  My uncle Don and my friend, they have the same 4th great grandparents,  Samuel Poling and Margaret Black.  For a little while there, I thought they had the same 3rd great grandparents, but finally worked out that they did not.  This is has been a few weeks ago, but now I have found out that there is a third friend added in there! A coworker has me looking into hers, and she is not only related to the above, but to my ex husband too!  I am going to work all this out eventually!
Samuel and Margaret had 13 children, a few with similar names.
Margaret
Daniel Black
Elizabeth
Rachel
Sarah
Nancy
William Black (friends 3rd gg)
William Benjamin (uncle Don's 3gg)
Mary
John Black
Martin A
David Black

To top it off, both William's married Janes!  So now you can see why I was so confused for awhile.

William Black Poling was born 1806 to Samuel M Poling and Margaret Black.  He married Jane Philips in 1830 in Randolph County, Va.  They had 6 children I know of per 1850 census.
William Benjamin Poling was born 1808 in Maryland to Samuel M Poling and Margaret Black.  He married Jane Moats in 1823 in Va, they had 4 known children.  Wm Blacks daughter Ruhama (What a name!) married Charles Dayton, and they are my friends 2nd great grandparents.  Wm Benjamins son  Reason, (yep, another crazy name!) married Margaret Bolinger, and they are my uncle's 2nd great grandparents.  I am finding more and more connections to friends and family the longer I do genealogy, and I love it!
I will keep you updated on other things I find, thanks for paying attention to my ramblings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are All Related!!

A few years ago, a friend of mine asked me to look into her family, so sure, I started, and I go and play with her tree when I need a break ...