Wednesday, June 5, 2013

5 June 2013

Really? I go that many days, ugh, I am horrible, oh well, live with it!

So today, what is on the table? Many people know that I grew up in Mexico, Mo, and at the moment, I am obsessed with reading the facebook page Memories of Growing UP in Mexico, Mo.  I am looking at all the old pictures, trying to place where things had been, where my house was located close to it, stuff like that.
This next pic, it is our own personal Graceland.  It is the museum in Mexico, and it is on Muldrow Street, one of the main streets in town.
Something that is a bit *odd* about Mexico, there is no Main Street, nor numbered streets.  I believe this is the only town I know of that does not have any numbered streets.  And another odd thing about Mexico, there is not one street that goes straight from north to south, or east to west, that goes all the way through town.  It is almost a maze, and a few of the streets change names at least twice, and a couple of them three or four times.  One of the biggest being, West Boulevard, East Boulevard, Green Boulevard, Agriculture, and then becomes Highway J.
Muldrow becomes Western, and then that becomes Paris Road (Highway 15).
So back to the history of Mexico.  With having lived there until I was 26, so that means from the early 70's to the late 90's.  I knew a lot of people.  And growing up a Jehovah's Witness (which, yes, I am still one!) that means I grew up knowing quite a few people.  So for the fun of it, I have done the research on their families, and who they were, and how they connected to Mexico.  Although, I have to admit, I have not done any of the work such as the ones at the Genealogical Society have done, they are wonders there!!
On June 3rd 1972, my parents got married.  They were married at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Breckenridge Street.
They were married by Larry Minor, and he has been a family friend for many years.  So Mexico will always be a very special place to me.
My grandmother Henrietta (Scott) Heyen, was a painter, and her name was well known in that area of Missouri.
This is her rendition of me, at about age 4
Okay, thats enough for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are All Related!!

A few years ago, a friend of mine asked me to look into her family, so sure, I started, and I go and play with her tree when I need a break ...