Monday, November 28, 2011

November 28th

I haven't done anything in a few days, not really because I was busy, but I just didn't have the gumption to actually DO something.
I was burnt out on ideas, burnt out on the schedule, etc etc. So back to it I am jumping in!

http://flylady.net/
I have decided I am going to try and join FlyLady again. It is a cleaning movement, well sort of. Fly stands for Finally Loving Yourself, and its about making a better you. They help you stick to decluttering your house, mind, and spirit. So of course this morning I slept in til nearly ten, but I did get myself dressed (to shoes), load of laundry switched over, Jo's breakfast made, and a pumpkin pie made.
The reason for the pumpkin pie is today is Marvin's birthday, and he wanted a pumpkin pie instead of cake. So that is what he gets. I am also going to go to the library and see if I can rent him a few videos. He loves all the old movies.
He called yesterday wanting to get online and get on the library's website to see a list of their movies, problem is, this town is SO small, the library not only doesn't have a website, we don't even have library cards! Some days I hate living in such a small town!

Okay, on with whats up with today:
The history of science sort of began today. How so? In November of 1660, the London Royal Society was formed, what was this society? This society promotes the education and knowledge of the natural world through experimenting and observation, in other words, science.

Its official foundation date is 28 November 1660, when a group of 12 met at Gresham College after a lecture by Christopher Wren, then the Gresham Professor of Astronomy, and decided to found 'a Colledge for the Promoting of Physico-Mathematicall Experimentall Learning'. This group included Wren himself, Robert Boyle, John Wilkins, Sir Robert Moray, and William, Viscount Brouncker.
The Society was to meet weekly to witness experiments and discuss what we would now call scientific topics.
1661: first appears in print
1662: Society permitted by Royal Charter to publish; first two books were Sylva by John Evelyn and Micrographia by Robert Hooke
1663: Second Royal Charter, the society is referred to as "The Royal Society of London for Improving Natural Knowledge"
1665: First issue of Philosophical Transactions were edited by Henry Oldenburg
1666: A fire damaged alot of the building, moved to Arundel House
1710: Under the presidency of Isaac Newton, Society acquired a new home, two houses in Crane Court, off the Strand
1731: New rule established that each candidate for election had to be proposed in writing and this written certificate signed by those who supported his candidature.
1778: Sir Joseph Banks became president
1780: Another move to Somerset House provided by the Crown
1847: Society decided that in the future Fellows would be elected solely on the merit of their scientific work
1850: Government gave grants to the society of £1,000 to assist scientists in their research and to buy equipment.
1857: Society moved to Burlington House in Piccadilly, with a staff of two.
1967: Last move to Carlton House Terrace with a staff of over 140.
2010: the Society acquired Chicheley Hall in Buckinghamshire. Used for conferences and other things.

National French Toast Day
A few years ago I went to a restaurant and they had a new french toast. They took Captain Crunch and dipped the bread first in the egg wash, then the Captain Cruch, but when they brought it out, it was burnt to a crisp so badly, I couldn't even cut it! So I sent it back, they comped my meal, and I simply got my regular waffle breakfast I normally get. It always seems when I go out to eat, and I veer from my typical favorite from the restaurant, I end up disappointed!
At home, we are diabetic, so I dip the bread in an egg mixture made with egg, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and I have a bag of pumpkin spice cookie mix, that I pour about two tablespoons into the mixture, gives it a bit of extra crunch, and sooooo yummy!
Which reminds me, I have only about half a bag left, need to buy some more bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We Are All Related!!

A few years ago, a friend of mine asked me to look into her family, so sure, I started, and I go and play with her tree when I need a break ...